Friday, March 7, 2014

Let Me Hear You Howl!!!

It is no secret that we LOVE our Red Wolves in Northeast Arkansas. For those of you unfamiliar with my neck of the woods, the Red Wolves are our local college's mascot. A few years ago, Arkansas State University underwent a major branding overhaul and chose the Red Wolves as their new mascot. Ever since, it seems things have been looking up for our little school. ASU seems to be the hot spot for any up and coming college coaches. Over the last several football seasons, we have had our coaches leave and go on to coach bigger (and what some might say, better) schools. In spite of all the coaching confusion, the Red Wolves have gone on to be conference champs and played at the GoDaddy Bowl.

About a month ago, I was contacted on Etsy by a mom expecting her first baby. Both she and her husband attended ASU and had seen the work I had been doing, trying to develop a crochet hat that best represented our Red Wolves, on Facebook. She asked if there was any way I would be able to create an entire newborn prop set revolving around ASU's female mascot, Scarlet.


She sent me this picture as a reference and I began my work. It took a few days of searching and thinking but I was able to pull together several of my favorite patterns and make a set that, I have to say, I am pretty proud of.

 
 
I can't wait to see their little Red Wolf all dressed up when she has her newborn pictures in just a few short weeks (mom is due in April). Be sure to keep and eye on my Facebook page because that's where I'll be sharing them first.
 
After sharing Scarlet with my Facebook friends, I started getting asked "Where's Howl?". Howl is Scarlet's male counterpart and the original Red Wolf. It was back to the drawing board I went.
 
 
Since I had already done the hat once, that part was easy. I had just gotten a pattern for a pair of short pants that matched Howl's football pants perfectly and used my favorite baby bootie pattern (with some MAJOR adjustments!) for his shoes.
 
 

I already have 2 different friends, due this summer, waiting to get their hands on this set. Like I said, we LOVE our Red Wolves.

While these patterns are not my design, the use of them for these sets is. I am excited to see these on each new member of the pack. They have definitely been some of my favorite items to create.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment