Monday, July 7, 2014

4th of July Fun

Happy Monday!! Hope everyone had an awesome 4th of July weekend! For as long as I can remember, the 4th of July has been my favorite holiday. When I was a kid, this was the time of year we always went to visit my aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandparents in St. Louis. My aunt and uncle would host this HUGE pot luck style lunch and invite family and friends over for the afternoon. There were games, baseball, and tons of conversation over some amazing food. When it started to get dark, we would pile into the cars and drive to a local park to see the fireworks...sometimes we would even drive all the way downtown to The Arch and watch them go off over it. 

This year was Sweet P's first "real" 4th of July. She was just barely 3 weeks old when we took her to see the fireworks last year (which she slept through!). Since she was a little bigger this year, I was excited to get her all dressed up and decked out in red, white, and blue. I had a BLAST getting this outfit together for her! The Tiered Ruffle Skirt from KT and the Squid has quickly become one of my favorites. Sweet P has this skirt and 2 others that I have made her!

Sweet P rockin' the Red, White, and Blue!
I used to be so afraid of crocheting clothes. In most of the patterns I had seen, I had to make the chest piece, sleeves, and then somehow sew it all together (BY HAND!!) and make it look nice and even. I bought some of Katy's patterns on a whim and am so glad I did! I am so excited to make more of these skirts in different holiday and team colors. 

We didn't have a whole lot planned for our 4th except for meeting some friends at the park to watch fireworks later that night. That gave this momma plenty of time to crochet! After seeing tons of Uncle Sam hats all over my Facebook feed from friends sharing patriotic statuses, I thought "Wonder if I could make one of those." I have this pattern from Sweet Potato 3 Patterns that I was able to use for sizing purposes and create my very own Uncle Sam hat!!

I want you to wear Red, White, and Blue!
Notice the vest? That is full on sequins with red and blue stars! It belonged to my Grams (who also loved the 4th of July) and I inherited it when she passed away last year. Sweet P and I wore our outfits to the park and weren't even there 5 minutes, when a photographer from our town's events magazine stopped and asked to take our picture together. The Hubs seems to think our "get-ups" will land us on the cover. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Hope everyone had as much fun this weekend as we did! What does your family do to celebrate Independence Day? Did you make any crazy outfits to wear to family get togethers? 

*If you are interested in ordering finished versions of either of these items, please message me on Facebook for details on sizing and prices!*

Update: The magazine that stopped to take our picture Friday night just added them to their Facebook page. A friend tagged me in this or I probably wouldn't have seen it until the magazine came out next month! Who says handmade can't be cute!





No comments:

Post a Comment